If you wish to make yourself invisible to certain Facebook friends in Facebook chat, this tutorial is going to help you. Facebook chat has an option to limit your availability. But before you can use that option, you need to make a list of those friends, to whom you wish to be hidden.
How to Appear Offline To Specific Facebook Friends
- Login to Facebook
- Open another tab and put the following URL to the address bar
- This is the place where you can create a custom friend list. Also you can see the existing lists there. Now click on the “Create List” button.
- The pop-up window will appear and you need to specify the name of the list. Give it a name, like “Offline friends”.
- Now Facebook takes you to the newly created list. The list is empty and we have to add friends to the list. Click on “Add Friends” link.
- The new pop-up window will show all your friends. Click on the friends, you wish to add to the new list. When completed click on the “Done” button
- Now click on the “Chat” located at the lower right corner.
- On the top of the chat window click on the gear icon and then click on the “Limit Availability…” link from the drop-down list.
- In the new pop-up window “Limit Availability on Chat” will appear and choose the option “Make me unavailable to:” from the drop-down list and click on the recently created Offline Friends List. Click the “OK” button.
- Done. Now those friends can’t notice, when you will be on-line in Facebook chat.
If you wish to add more people into that list in future, you can add them easily. The offline friends list can be found in the left side navigation.
Alternatively, if you wish to appear online to certain friends only and offline to everyone else, you can also do this in similar way. Follow the bellow given instruction:
- After Logging in to Facebook go to https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/lists
- Click on “Create List” button and Name it “Online Friends”
- Now add friends to the newly created list just like the previously described way.
- After the list is completed, click on the “Chat” link on the lower right corner and click on that gear icon. Select “Limit Availability…” option.
- In the pop-up box, choose “Only make me available to:” option from the drop-down list and check the “Online Friends”.
- Done. Now those selected friends in “Online Friends” list can know when you are online in facebook.
The Following Video shows you how to hide your online status from certain friends :